So I had a terrifying experience this morning at work. For those of you that have followed my blog for a while you will know that my biggest phobia is spiders.
Well this is what greeted me this morning when I went to my pigeon hole to get my stuff. Ewwwwwwwww!!
Unfortunately as the weather warms up the huntsmen will start making their appearance. Boy am I in trouble!!
You never know what will happen from one minute to the next – today I was once again reminded of this.
The weather has been nice and warm so when the kids asked if they could go swimming in mum and dads pool I thought why not. No sooner had we arrived and they had jumped in, a freak accident occurred. Madelyn accidentally kicked Harry in the eye, resulting in a deep gash on his eyelid.
Fortunately the doctor was able to glue the eye instead of stitching it. I don’t know how he would have coped with stitches, the gluing looked scary enough.
Poor Madelyn felt really bad but it was just an accident and fortunately he will be ok, it looks puffy and red at the moment but give it a few days and he will be as good as new.
There is nothing as terrifying as walking into a semi dark room and seeing your cat staring at something that you cannot see, but you know is definitely there and is probably something utterly terrifying like a spider or a bug or worse still a disgusting cockroach!!
I am an animal lover it is no secret, I love all animals especially dogs and cats, but I have a extra soft spot for birds. I love birds, especially parrots. I have two parrots Stan who is a South American Quaker parrot and Molly a beautiful Rainbow Lorikeet.
Last week my friend and Colleague popped in for a coffee and was admiring my birds, she told me about her mums bird which is also a Lorikeet called Georgie and how friendly she was.
Today while we were at work my colleague/friend received a text from her mum to say that Georgie had just been eaten by a snake. We were both shocked and saddened, when my friend text back to ask her mum how she knew that Georgie had been eaten by a snake her mum sent back this photo. If you look closely you can see poor Georgie yet to be digested inside the snake.
I wanted to share this photo because I thought it would serve as a timely reminder with summer fast approaching. I am so glad my birds live inside. Poor little Georgie. R.I.P.
Today has been a good day, after yesterday it could only really get better!!
Yesterday morning on the way to work just after I had dropped off my twins and was heading to the high school, a lady ran into the back of my car when I was at a standstill at a Give way sign!!
Thankfully no one was injured but my son was very shaken as was I, because this was the first accident I had ever been in with one of my children in the car!!
My poor little car is off getting repaired now, it won’t be ready for a week and a half but for a minute there it was touch and go as to whether it would be a write off or not!
So today I am very happy that my car is being repaired and will soon be with me again. In the meantime I am driving my husbands car which feels a lot like driving a tank.
Another highlight of today was that I got to try boxing for the very first time!! I don’t think that I have ever sweat so much in my whole life! I’m sure that I will be very sore tomorrow but tonight I feel invigorated!!
Life is such a roller coaster you never know what is coming from one moment to the next.
I know how lucky I am, and how lucky my children are (even if they don’t always see this). We have been blessed with a loving family that support and love us unconditionally.
Unfortunately not everyone is as lucky though. I was reminded of this yet again today as I tended to a little 9 year old girl who was feeling a little overwhelmed and scared as she waited in the waiting room of our health centre for her mother who was meeting with her drug and alcohol counsellor and a representative from Child Protection Services.
Her fear manifested itself in the form of an upset stomach, and she came over asking if I could call her mum because she was not feeling well. It was clear that she was stressing.
Mum came out of the meeting and reassured her that everything was ok, but the little girl was not convinced. As I walked mum back to the counseling room she explained to me that her daughter was worried that child protection would take her away again.
I was heartbroken for this beautiful innocent little girl who had obviously had to deal with more than anyone her age should ever have to deal with.
I hope that mum finds the courage to embark on her journey of recovery for her child’s sake. Fighting addiction is hard but if ever there was something worth fighting for then this is it.
Dexter is unwell. The call came just on 3pm today from my eldest who had just come home after spending the day with his cousin. Dexter was squealing in pain which as far as my son could tell seemed to be coming from his back legs.
When I got home around 3:40pm I found Dexter shivering on the floor beside my son. He did run up to greet me and the twins (who I’d just picked up from school), but was unable to jump up and down as he always does whenever we come home. He couldn’t even sit down properly and from my first observation I could see that his hip joint seemed rather swollen at either side. Running my hand down his back and across his hips resulted in more screams of pain.
We called the Vet and Madelyn and I drove him down to the clinic, which fortunately is only up the road. Dexter couldn’t jump into the car by himself and so I had to lift him up which of course caused him more pain which resulted in more yelping.
Without an X-ray it is hard to determine what the problem is. The Vet was able to rule out knees and feet, the problem seems to be more lower back /spine and hip. It could be a pinched nerve, it could be arthritis, it could even be nerve damage.
The Vet gave Dexter an anti inflammatory injection and a pain killer injection and has sent him home with a bag full of tablets that he will need to take for the next 10 days. At the moment he seems to be comfortable although he was not able to get up on the couch or the bed, and has chosen a warm spot on the carpet in Madelyn’s room, where she has lovingly wrapped him up in her blanket.
To some people a dog is merely a pet, an animal they have taken in for one reason or another, but for us Dexter is a member of our family, he is the happy face that greets us every day, he is a best friend, a companion, fur kid and fur brother. The boys didn’t want to come to the vet today because they couldn’t stand seeing Dexter in so much pain. Hopefully Dexter has just pulled a muscle and will be back to his crazy bouncy happy ways in no time at all.
I nearly died of embarrassment today!! At about 2pm I was putting some files away at work when when one of my colleagues approaches me and informs me that I have a massive split right up the middle of my pants. To make matters worse I was wearing black pants at work today with white underwear underneath!!
So all day long I have been walking around oblivious to the fact that I was flashing everyone my backside. Once the initial horror passed I assessed my options and quickly threw on my raincoat which I had thankfully brought in with me today. Boy was I glad to leave work today.
There is a new craze sweeping across Facebook at the moment which you may or may not have heard of. If you have a teenager as I do, you have probably come across this lunacy. I don’t know about you but I am horrified to say the least.
The Condom Challenge is a dare game that involves inserting a clean condom into one’s nostril and snorting it back through the throat to be coughed out of the mouth.
Apparently this challenge has been gaining momentum since 2013 when it first appeared on YouTube.
Aside from being totally gross the risks for potentially choking to death are so great, that I just can’t get my head around why anyone would ever attempt something like this.
It really it a scary world we are living in, our children have enough to deal with without this kind of rubbish. Honestly who comes up this kind of stuff?
The Condom Chalkenge
So what do you do when you suddenly lose all your documents everything you have written in the last year and bit gone, completely wiped away?
There are no words adequate enough to capture the anguish, nay the despair, that grips you at the realisation that all your work, all your words have been erased.
Yesterday all my documents all my articles, all my novels all my columns were deleted in error of course, by my husband whose IT knowledge is next to non existent. He thought that by clearing out everything in our iCloud account he was merely deleting data off his phone.
I went to bed half way through an article on the festival for the next edition of The Buzz only to wake up with nothing, nada, zip. At first I thought it was a glitch with my iPad but when the so called glitch didn’t seem to resolve itself after turning the iPad on and off I sought out professional help. Not only was that article gone but everything else was too.
The technical support guys at Apple are fantastic, anyone who has ever had to deal with them will testify to this I am sure. My files are still gone but the Apple tech guys are trying their best to get them back for me. In the meantime I’m trying to remain hopeful. Not an easy thing to do I assure you.